Sustainability Policy – Introduction
The combination of economic, environmental and social issues in the way we plan, execute and monitor our business is critical to the growth and success of Bahvest Resources Berhad group of companies (the “Group”).
Our efforts over the last few years define the way we manage sustainability. We have set the structure from which to outline our plan and continuously improve, both in performance and evolution of our overall approach to sustainability.
We will grow and protect our stakeholders’ value by incorporating sustainability into our core business strategy, risk management and operational performance. Sustainability helps us to conduct business responsibly and provides a platform for innovation, operational efficiency and management of emerging sustainability risks.
Our Sustainability Policies
We adopt 4 sustainability policies which weigh good business with good corporate sustainability;
- Economic Growth
- Pursue opportunities for financial gain,
- Create and sustain maximum profits, and
- Improve operational efficiency without foregoing long-term economic value creation.
- Accountability and Transparency to Stakeholders
- Be accountable and transparent to stakeholders on sustainability and quality strategies, objectives and performance, and
- Disclose relevant information in a timely manner.
- Respect for Society
- Respect fundamental human rights, and
- Endeavour to advance respect for human rights within our Group’s sphere of influence.
- Respect for the Environment
- Address environmental challenges,
- Promote environmental responsibility, and
- Encourage the development and use of environmentally-friendly designs and technology.
Corporate Social Responsibility (“CSR”)
The Group takes the role of CSR seriously whereby the management considers the interests of society by taking responsibility for the impact of our fish breeding activities on consumers, suppliers, employees, shareholders, communities and other stakeholders, and the environment.
This obligation extends beyond statutory obligation to comply with laws. We voluntarily take further steps to improve the quality of life for our employees and society at large.
Our CSR concept is really about operating in a manner that is sustainable and cognizant of our responsibility to the wider community. CSR is more than simply acts of philanthropy or allocating a proportion of our earnings to worthy causes; it is strategic in nature, and is about how our business actually functions.
The Group sets out a number of priority areas for the Group’s CSR practice. These are:
- Reporting and communicating with stakeholders;
- Ensuring quality safe fresh fish for global consumers;
- Maintaining safe and respectful working conditions for employees;
- Operating with respect for the environment; and
- Committing to the well-being of local communities where the company has operations.